Monday, November 8, 2010

Praying Hands

This is a commission for a friend of mine in Texas.  She had seen my drawing of the hands and the coffee cup which you can see here.  This is the first draft, drawn literally from my reference which was a photo I took of my husband's hands.  I did the sketch from life.  I put a lot of detail into the fingers themselves because I wanted the wedding ring to stand out.  The back of the hand I used quick, broad strokes and worked with values and shading instead of tight detail so that the eye would be drawn to the fingers.









This is the finished piece as specified by my friend.  I added hints of fingers behind the forward hand and shading to the background.  Size is 4 x 6 inches, 2B pencil, carbon and charcoal pencil on Stonehenge paper.

18 comments:

Alex said...

Fantastic! The details amaze me!

Cathy Holtom said...

Beautiful work, I'm sure your friend will be happy!

raena said...

Absolutely stunning!

vickylw (Vicky Williamson) said...

Incredibly beautiful hands and sketch!

Janene said...

Welcome back! Your drawing is gorgeous, thanks for sharing it.

Shirley said...

The hands are really wonderful!

debra morris said...

Amazing drawing Sherie

jill said...

fantastic, oh that word has already been used so have all the other words I am thinking of, stunning, incredible, you get my meaning

Krista Meister said...

This turned out beautiful, Sherie! So much detail.

Sandra said...

Powerful!

Anais said...

Wow!!! Just amazing, Sherie.
Love all the careful details :)

Natasha said...

Followed! Your work is beautiful and the detail in these hands is breathtaking. I'll look forward to following your work and thank you for the lovely comments.

. said...

beautiful work, really well done. I love the old hands very much, reminds me of a picture I have (old hands holding a peapod)... Thank you for leaving a very nice comment and dropping by my blog, my thoughts are with you. Keep drawing, your work is amazing.

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Wonderful how such a simple subject can be so powerful! And, I had fun scrolling through your recent works. Thanks!

jenna said...

this turned out so nicely, wow!

thanks for dropping by my site :)

Ann said...

Beautiful! I was amazed when I saw this on FB, and again here. It is stunning!

kazumiwannabe said...

This is so realistic and detailed! Awesome work!

alissa said...

beautiful , detailed drawing. I am sure it will be greatly admired by everyone who sees it.