Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pear, grapes and blueberries

I finally finished this little still life that I started months ago.  It's not a very good scan.  I burnished it after I was done with it and the paper stretched, so I couldn't get it flat.  Those shadows on the pear are from the waves in the paper.  I would need a vacuum frame to get it flat.  I won't be burnishing anymore.  I liked it much better before burnishing.  The writing on the left side of the paper is all the colors I used.  Even though tedious, I am very satisfied with the result.  There are more than 10 layers of color on the paper.  I'd like to get my time down to a week when working on one of these pieces.  I have about 27.5 hours into this, so finishing in a week's time should not be a problem.  I'm not real happy with a couple of spots;  the hard line of the shadow on the left side of the pear.  I tried to softened it up to no avail.  And the red grapes are too red against the purple grapes.  I followed Ms. Steinberg's directions to a T, but I am a little heavy in the hand when laying down color.  Must work on that.  This is 5 x 7 inches on Strathmore paper done with Prismacolor pencils.

12 comments:

winna said...

I find it beautiful and it seems to me like you are your own best critic which will do you well in your next effort as you learn from yourself---Bravo !

Christie said...

Well, I love - love - love it, and find the hard-lined shadows a major part of what I love. So -- that beauty, eyes and beholders thingie, yet again! :)

Alex said...

Gorgeous painting of the fruits...now I am kinda hungry for some fresh cold fruits ^^
So you have lots of time now, and that's always a good thing because it means you're going to be active posting up awesome art work a lot more frequently now.

E*phi said...

Wow, what a wonderful painting! I love your soft color gradients (if that is the word I'm looking for, in English). Just started playing around with watercolor myself and my paintings look awfully messy compared to yours. :) It's really obvious how much time and work you invested! Beautiful!

Cathy Holtom said...

This is really good, despite your problems with burnishing. I think the type of the paper might have something to do with that? I like the reds in the grapes against the pear, I would put a little red into the purple one at the back to bring it together.

debra morris said...

Lovely, good to see you're back!

donna said...

You should be very pleased with painting. It is just lovely.

curiouscrow said...

Lovely, beautiful colour on the pear. And welcome back to EDM!

Sandra said...

What a lovely piece. Speak softly, oh inner critic.

raena said...

Really excellent and well worth the work you put into it!

Theresa Rhodus said...

I just finished this exercise myself from "Masterful Color" I think your purples an reds in the grapes look very natural. I didn't like using the verith. white to do the highlights on the grapes. Next time I will just leave them paper white.
I agree with Cathy's comment that your burnishing problem was the paper. I used a 90lbs watercolor paper that held up well for this technique and also Bristol Vellum. I finally found the Stonehenge paper she recommends in the book and will be trying it on the next exercise.
I also like the look before the burnishing but can see where it would come in handy for shiny and very smooth objects. Have you done any of the other pics from this book?

nanke's stuff said...

I think it's a wonderful painting! I'm not a bit bothered by the shadows or the red in the grapes. Sandra's right when she tells the critic to speak softly! Well done!! nancy