Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Shiny Things

I was taking a break from my WIP color piece.  I began this drawing while not feeling well and on pain meds.  Needless to say, laying it out was an adventure and I had a really tough time with the perspective.  Imagine that!  I was not happy with it until today when I almost started over.  But, I tweaked the shading and worked on the highlights and voila!  I am feeling a little timid about using the charcoal pencil and stepping out of my comfort zone, but I will try to keep utilizing it and hopefully it will grow on me.  I'm going to try another of the coins and use both the charcoal and the graphite, too.  2B pencil with charcoal pencil for the real dark areas.  4 x 4 inches on Strathmore paper.  I picked up these little trinkets while I was in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia for a girl weekend a couple of years ago.  We were doing the whole spa experience and we were so relaxed.  The town is small and quaint with galleries and boutiques everywhere.  I found these little coins in one of the shops and couldn't resist.  They have little totems on one side and words on the back to describe them.  The backside of the man in the moon with the star says DREAM, the music note says LISTEN and the heart says LOVE.  I have about half a dozen of them that I keep in a little black satin pouch.  Sometimes I put them in my pocket and just like feeling them there and rubbing them like a worry stone.  Buying these little coins earned me the nickname Magpie from my friends.    

21 comments:

Serena said...

Wonderful drawing, Sherie! I think those coins are cute and serve as great little reminders.

Sandy said...

Ohhhh, lovely little collection - Most shiney!!! --- Hope you are feeling better soon!!

theamplegoddess said...

Very nice. I like the heart one the best, you did a great job capturing the 'shiny'.

Anita Davies said...

Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly....Lovely piece.

nanke's stuff said...

I hope you're feeling better by now. Your drawing is really nice. I think charcoal pencils are tricky to work with when drawing small things like this. You did a really nice job! nancy

Alex said...

It's beautiful! Shiny definitely, and everything seems so 3D here... like I could touch them ^^
I hope you feel better soon too.

Shirley said...

This look wonderfully shiny - I so wish I could achieve any degree of reflection on things - maybe next year....

Phyllis said...

Love this piece...it's just so well done in every way.

Janet Ghio said...

These are really great. You can just see how shiny they are!

Sandra said...

Wow! you did this drawing and you didn't feel well. I could almost reach out and touch them, they are so real looking. Take care.

raena said...

LOL, Miss Magpie, you've done a fabulous job!

Janene said...

You captured the metallic quality very well, and the perspective looks perfect!

Krista Meister said...

Sherie, I am in awe of your work. Very powerful images you create. So glad I found your blog.

Dan Kent said...

Your shading is perfect. I can feel the metal, and slide my fingers over them, and feel it rise and fall. You captured that difficult perspective perfectly too. Wonderful!

Judybec said...

"Magpie" ! --too cute!
this is a beautiful drawing -- love how the treble clef recedes- your perspective is right on!
Hope you feel better soon.

bendelachanal said...

perfect job! I can feel the metal, the softness, like touching them. Very interesting to read about the material you used.

PAMO said...

When I first saw these- I thought you had composed the pieces for a photo. Imagine my surprise to learn you had drawn them!! Well done! Hope you feel better soon.

lyn said...

Great blog, beautiful drawings!
continued success!

Teri C said...

Wowee, gorgeous shading and tones!!!

Dragana Savkov - Bajić said...

Wow! Wonderful! Your work is excellent! Fabulous blog!

Dragana Savkov - Bajić said...

Wow! How great! I bet you're very patient person!