Thursday, January 21, 2010

WIP pears & grapes


I finished putting on the third layer today.  It was rainy and gloomy out, so a perfect day to concentrate on art.  Looking at the scan now, tho, I see my line on the pear is pretty hard and needs to be softened a bit, so I'll go back and take care of that this evening.  The book says that the first 3 layers are the most crucial and your strokes need to be very close together.  After that you can loosen up a bit.  This layer I used Black Cherry, Tuscan Red and Goldenrod.  Once you start adding the color, you can really see it start to come together over the shadows that have already been laid out.  I'm keeping track of my hours on this project and so far have almost 14 hours in.  So, I may have more than 25 when I'm done.  Seems daunting, but I think that anything that looks good is going to take time.  I'm doing this on 5 x 7 inch Strathmore paper using Prismacolor pencils.  Would love to get some Stonehenge paper to try this on, but will have to wait until I get to Raleigh.  

12 comments:

Alex said...

enjoying the WIP ^^ the end result will be spectacular for sure!

rrARTz said...

your work is beautiful. i admire your patience. i look forward to seeing more!

J. Roach said...

Very nice.

Janene said...

The grapes look luscious! I am enjoying hearing about your process.

Martine said...

Thanks for showing the WIP ! I already love the texture and colours !

Phyllis said...

Thoroughly enjoying watching this unfold, so thank you for sharing. Thank you for the reference to Masterful Color - I ordered it yesterday and Barnes & Nobel tell me it's on its way! Yea.

Ramona Davidson said...

This is great the way it is. Can't wait to see the finished product. It should be spectacular.

nanke's stuff said...

It's really coming along nicely - it looks terrific! It's fun watching the development of it. nancy

raena said...

This is going to look great!

Sandy said...

Oh these are all so lovely, - and I have missed your posts!!!

donna said...

This is a wonderful painting.

Serena said...

It's coming along beautifully!