Monday, November 30, 2009

'66 Mustang Driver's Side Mirror




More on the Mustang theme.  I've decided to do a series on chrome and shiny things, which will come as no surprise to close friends.  For this one I used extensive photo reference.  I have no control over mother nature or the sun's path across the sky, so drawing from life  was out of the question.  At least until I get more familiar with the material and how it reflects the world around it.  I spent most of my time studying the photographs and how the lines would bend and merge and how the many different values blended.   The camera is a wonderful tool for artists.   I will be experimenting with a new combination of tools in the  drawings to come.  I've been studying JD Hillberry's work and I like the contrast he gets from using graphite, charcoal and carbon pencils.  Hopefully, this coming year I will be able to attend one of JD's workshops and learn directly from the master.  This piece is 4 x 6 inches, 2B pencil on clayboard.  I had a sample of this and decided to try something new, but I'm sad to say I just wasn't satisfied with it.  I had to lay down many more layers than usual to get my darks and when it rained during the warmer weather and we had the windows open, the board seemed to absorb the moisture and then I had to wait days for it to dry out because the lead just seemed to slide around on top of it.  Also it scratched easily.  Seemed like if I breathed on it, it would scratch.  Would love to hear if any of you have had experience with clayboard and what you've used on it and whether you liked it or not.

14 comments:

Shirley said...

This drawing is amazing to me - I can't even add a simple reflection to a shiny apple surface and make it look authentic! Great job!

donna said...

Stunning work, even if you struggled with the clayboard!

Christie said...

Fabulous job! I have worked with clayboard, long ago and far away (that would be, in art school) and the only thing I can recall about the experience was deciding never to do it again. But then, my results were not as stunning as what I see here!

raena said...

Beautiful textures! I have that book; it's a good one!

Lynn Logan Roselli said...

This is amazing! You really captured all the nuances of reflected light. I worked on clay board with oils. My current profile picture was done on clay board and I love it for oils.
But, I never thought to use it for drawing. What problems did you encounter?

Sandy said...

Wow, that is simply Amazing!!!!

Lesley said...

This is a fabulous study - it must have taken ages! Really lovely.

Ramona Davidson said...

Beautiful work!! I hope one day to be at least half a good as you with chrome and shadows.

Possum Patty said...

Shiny chrome, shiny chrome, shiny chrome....

Drawn2Life said...

Awesome drawing!!! I just read that you are in the Summerfield area...I am in Kernersville! I wish I could make it out to the coffee shop. Will your work be hanging for any length of time?? Loved browsing your blog site.

phthaloblu said...

The show will be up for the month of December and into January. I'd love it, if you could make it over there. Email me and maybe I could meet you there and we could have coffee/tea and talk art. :)

Carolyn Ann Pappas said...

Great drawing. I've never tried claybord but I've used aquabord which is made by the same outfit, and I was not pleased at all. Thanks for letting me know your experience so I don't waste my money on claybord in the future.

Judybec said...

beautiful sketches!
congratulations on your recent successes!!!
love the mustang theme

Jose said...

That is a pretty amazing drawing there.

http://www.jakxxx.com
http://avilesnews.flux.com
http://jose-aviles.blogspot.com