Saturday, September 12, 2009

Floral Doodles



I told y'all I'd be back. *smile* I really did scan the sketches I've accumulated while I've been away, and over the next week I'll post them all. Hopefully by the end of the week, I'll have a new finished piece for y'all to critique.

I feel I should tell you what I've been doing since I've been MIA from EDM. I will be participating fully now so you should see me popping up on your blogs and commenting on your work. It's not that I haven't been doing anything creative all this time, it's just that my focus has shifted. A little over a year ago a friend and I signed up for a class on writing children's picture books. I wrote four books and I'm shopping them around the publishing houses and working on the illustrations. I don't want to post the illustrations just yet. If I get any takers, then I'll show them off, but right now I have to keep them under wraps. But, trust me, they're cute! One of the assignments was to write a story about an urban legend or folk tale and update it. Well, that's the reason I've been gone so long. My assignment started out as a children's book and then snowballed into a short story for pre-teens. I'm over 24 pages and going strong. My wonderful husband calls it a book, but it's a short story, ok? *laughing* Calling it a book intimidates me. The storyline is great according to my fellow writers in our local group, so I hope they're right and that there is a publisher out there for it.

Another interest that has snowballed is my love of the classic Mustang. Some of you may recall that I started searching for one a while ago. Well, I found one, in very, very good condition for a very, very good price. *grin* It's about 90% restored, so there's not much left to do, but with a vintage car, there's always going to be something that needs to be fixed, tinkered or fiddled with. But, that's ok; that's why they call it a hobby. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but then, I found out that my original criteria turned out to be very, very expensive. I figured if it was supposed to happen, it would. I found an ad and went to look at it, not getting my hopes up, but when I started it, I was sold. It's a beautiful 1966 Ford Mustang with a rebuilt 289 (less than 10K miles when I bought it), cam and headers. She's white with black interior. I've got some sketches, so you'll be seeing her soon enough.

So, now that you know what I've been up to, back to art! These are some doodles I started from the Keys to Drawing With Imagination. I have others farther in my moleskine, but I'm posting them in the order I did them. So, these were just simple florals. Either tomorrow or the next day, I'll post some sketches from around town that I did.

4 comments:

Ann said...

So nice to see you again! I really like you 9/11 tribute below. And I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful drawings! Good luck with the books :-)

Dan Kent said...

It's not every day you hear, "hey, I've been away because I wrote four books but now I'm back." I admire your efforts, whether they are published or not, and am glad that you are back.

Knitting Painter Woman said...

thanks for your comment deep in my blog. Wow!
Glad you're back and best wishes on your book shopping. I wish I were doing the same! a 24 page ya "story" would make a great graphic novel... :-D
And don't you think Keys to Drawing with imagination is amazing?

Alex said...

Interesting designs!
Like everyone else, I wish you all the best with the books too, 4 is a lot! o_O you must have had a lot to say, but I am glad that's done now, and you could come back and draw.