Saturday, July 7, 2007

Six of 7


Most of you don't know this about me, but when I was a teenager growing up in the seventies, I wanted a Mustang. Not just any Mustang, either. My dad told me he would buy me a car for my 16th birthday, but it would not be a Mustang. He would buy me a Volkswagon Bug. !!! No way! Young and stupid you are, Yoda would say. If I had been smart, I would've taken my dad up on his offer, and then after a year, sold the Bug and bought my Rat, but this is what growing up is all about, right? I grew up surrounded by cousins who were mostly male, and I was quite the tomboy. I could play basketball and beat any of them one on one. I was the only girl they allowed to play baseball with them. And of the many names I was called, Camhead was one of them. My dad knew me too well. He wanted me to have something that I couldn't wrap around a phone pole. Needless to say, I never did get my Mustang. Until now. My husband is doing well in his business and he's decided that I should have my Mustang. So, I am on the look-out, but I have very specific specs. My dream car is a 1967 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland engine and that's just the beginning. Too many extras to list here. Dark blue paint. To be christened the Mad Rat II in honor of a guy in my hometown who had the baddest Mustang around. And no, my kids won't be allowed to drive it, because I know what I was like. Now that I'm older, I realize just how smart my dad was. Can you read the plate? 2B pencil in small moleskine.

14 comments:

Irene said...

Awesome!

juj said...

Good for you! Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Great drawing - I bet the ones you do of YOUR car will be even better.

biteyourowntail said...

Just don't go wrapping it around any lampposts...;)

Great drawing, can't believe it's so tiny!

Lynn said...

That's an amazingly realistic drawing. Congratulations on finally realizing one of your dreams.

Shelly McC said...

Your work is brilliant! I've tried to leave a comment here before but blogger plays tricks. Great work!

laserone said...

Wow, gorgeous! My brothers had several red mustangs that they'd buy used (in the early 70's) with the intention of rebuilding and then never did. It became a joke that our house always had an old red mustang up on blocks beside it. :)

Ian Harrison said...

Amazing details and great values Sherie. Really hope you get your scanner cranked up soon so we can see some more posts.

Felicity said...

Amazing drawing! Good luck with your search!

Joan Y said...

Oh wow, this is just incredible. Your pencil work is unreal! I totally understand your situation. My dad got me a Toyota Corona station wagon. That is definitely not a hot car. LOL. Good luck with the search!

jill said...

we must be showing our age here as i want my son to rebuild a 1973 charger in all black for me!

the picture is faboo! so impressive i'm going to share it w/ son and hubby. sure brings back some memories, too!

Lynn Larson said...

This is amazing! I can hear it rumble!

Mim Stella said...

what a great story and drawing. what fun you are going to have!

Juliann L said...

you are such a Bad Ass !
The illustration rocks!

Jim said...

When I was 23 I bought a bran new, fire engine red, Mach I mustang. When I had put about 4,500 miles on it, I went to sleep in it one night and rolled it four times. What a mess! Hospitalized for a month. A junker bought what was left of it for $450. It was a beautiful car; and it would do 120 mph with no effort at all. Great sketch - when I first saw it I thought it was a photo!