Friday, June 22, 2007

Diggin' Up Up Holes, Dig it!

When my kids were younger, they really enjoyed the movie Holes, and the book of the same name. Every once in a while they will still listen to the music, too. This was done while my oldest son, Ian, was doing some yard work for me. The shovel across his shoulders reminded me of the movie and I said something to him about it. He grinned and suggested I sketch him. So, I did! I am not completely happy with it for a few reasons. Number one was I was working so small, and usually when doing figures, I work a lot larger. I didn't realize just how hard it is to work so small on the human figure. Secondly, I think his head is too small. It was around noon, so I have good shadows on the shoulders and arms, but not on the rest of the body. It was hot out when I tried to do this, so that figured in with my discomfiture. I feel like I didn't have enough time to really work on the shadows, so I outlined them which I don't normally do, then when I actually tried to shade them, the lines worked against me. The figure itself is too big for the page. I have had this idea for a drawing for a long time now. I may use this sketch as a guide and do that drawing now. I would like to use a large piece of paper, place the figure in the upper left corner with the outstretched arm running along the top of the paper so that there is negative space to the right and underneath the figure. There would be no background except for the cast shadow under his feet. I will need to wait for the sun to be in a different position, tho, so the shadows on his body will be better defined. I think I like studio work for the figure better because you have more control over your light source. I am happy with my progress on the hands, tho. Me and hands (and feet!) have a love/hate relationship. But, even though these hands still need work to look natural and relaxed, they are probably the best hands I have ever done. 2B pencil in small moleskine.

13 comments:

shirley said...

Wow. From the person who can't draw figures (or hands and feet)!

SCquiltaddict said...

OH MY he's just fabulous..the stance...the face, the well everything!

Serena said...

Nice pose and I think you've done a great job!

juj said...

This is beautiful Sherie, and you're right, the hands are just wonderful. I personally like the way you handled the shadows, but of course it's you that must be happy. It's already such a great sketch, and it's such a a great concept - I would love to see how it turns out if you ever get to do it just the way you want.

jill said...

this looks great!!! so natural, so relaxed. good job!

Tracy said...

i think its gorgeous. i love the shadows and those hands look wonderful as well. i liked your idea of going larger and situating the drawing in the upper left... t but this in itself is a most wonderful drawing!

Anita said...

Excellent!!!!

biteyourowntail said...

I know you can see everything wrong with this but there is a lot right! You really have the sense of the weight of his hands over the shovel - and yes they certainly are beautiful, love the light and shade too, and I would really like to see a large version - I think it would make a beautiful drawing, and this too is very beautiful.

I know what you mean about those tiny sketchbooks - can't stand them myself - no space to move freely across the page.

mociehocie said...

like me, u r yer own worst critic! everything i see on yer blog is fabulous, i used to think you were more impressionistic (from looking at the slideshow), but now i'm theenking u are more of a realist...i have decided that i am a representational painter,maybe it looks like it, maybe it doesn't--lol!

Felicity said...

What a fabulous drawing, I love the sunlight on the shoulders especially!

Juliann L said...

Wow Sherie... THIS is really GOOD.
I like the idea of the jesus christ pose. What a beautiful young man Ian has become.
Take the next step... Do It!

Ian Harrison said...

Realoly like this one, great casual pose and admire to way you have captured the midday light.

CrumpledPaperbirds said...

The scatch is perfect. I'm very fond of imperfection, but I like this scatch even though it's perfect:) The hands are beautiful... And your son is handsome!:)