Thursday, March 1, 2007

sketch crazy




These are just some sketches I've done in the last few days. I find myself wanting to draw now and leaving other things to go to pot. I realize I'm a bit obsessive. When something new comes along, I throw myself into it fully, and that's what this feels like again. Something new. Excitement has been a long time in coming. The first one of Toby (again) is just a quick sketch. He is by far my best model. I turned from the computer the other day and there he was! All stretched out in the sun coming through the deck doors. My moleskine was right next to the computer so I grabbed it and quickly drew him before he moved. The next one started from a doodle. It's been a long time since I doodled or drew anything out of my head. I felt so pressured to draw realistically that I was constantly using reference material. I have a huge box of photos of all sorts of things; clouds, trees, mountains. I even keep photos that didn't turn out because they might come in handy. Anyway, we were at our homeschool co-op and I was talking to someone and just started doodling without even thinking about it. Once our conversation was finished, I looked down and just SAW the picture. So, I began shaping it and this is what I ended up with. I might go back and finish it, I don't know. This was so spontaneous, I'd hate to ruin that feeling by planning. I did the last sketch at co-op also. One of our members got her church to let us have have our classes there. This is the view from the table where we sit waiting for the kids. I wasn't in a very good mood that day so I'm really surprised I was able to draw at all. But, sketching kept me from making everyone else miserable by talking. At least something positive came out of the day. Hope you all have a very positive day, too!

5 comments:

Brenda Y said...

These are excellent and what a variety! I like how you decided to work on the direction the doodle was taking and stopped before it became a "plan." Fantastic angles and perceptions on the indoor scene!!

Ujwala said...

love your sketches especially the one with the cat with shadow lines on her.

SCquiltaddict said...

Nice sketches...do like the cat ones the best though...i do love kitty and dog sketches and they twitch around continually reposing for us...so thoughtful our pets are:>

caseytoussaint said...

Your sketches are beautiful Sherie - you have a unique style. It's funny, because while you write about feeling negative, they absolutely glow with light! Could it be that something very positive is trying to express itself?

Lynn said...

I really like your drawings, especially the quick, loose ones of your cat(s). Cats do teach you to grab they opportunity when it's presented, don't they?
Lynn