Sunday, March 25, 2007

Life According to Danny Gregory







These past few weeks have been really tough. At the beginning of March I had to go to my hometown where my mother still lives to go with her for cataract surgery. I had told her months ago that I would come up and go with her because she was so anxious about it. Well, without going into all the gory details, let's just say that there is a lot of history between me, my mother and my hometown. I don't go there often, and when I do, no matter how good I have been doing, I always find myself reverting to the hurt, little child that grew up there. Even though the rational part of my brain knows that I am a grown up now and completely in control of my life, the inner child still throws a good tantrum. *sigh* So, when I come back home, where I live now with my wonderful, supportive family, I always go through a period of depression. I am paralyzed and can't bring myself to draw. It's awful. So, anyway, before I left on this trip I had gotten Danny's book and I needed to do some sketches and it wasn't happening. My friend Penny invited me out to the coffee shop on Friday night to hear this girl sing. She said she was wonderful and she thought I would like her. I took my sketchbook and magic happened! This girl has a wonderful voice. She reminded me of Michelle Branch. I did some sketches, talked with her a bit and traded compliments. Her dad was all over my work which is displayed in the coffee shop, but sadly no commissions were requested and no sales. But, I did do the sketches for the book. Yay! Progress. Now back to living and art. Adios!

7 comments:

Deb Salter said...

Wow, these drawings have so much life! Do you think that's because your time lately has been emotionally charged? I've just ordered Danny Gregory's book, if I get results like yours I'll be a happy girl. Hope you've recovered from your time with your mum.

Emma Pod said...

These are all very nice sketches. It sounds like you found a great spot to draw - and many subjects too! I really like the singer, hand, and chair. I also commiserate with the visit home. I'm from South Dakota, but live in Oregon. It's always hard to go home to visit and hard not to pick up those old family roles. I am planning a trip this summer....

paulien said...

I just love these drawings, and I hope you feel better just for doing them. All the best to you, and keep the drawings coming,
Paulien

Carole said...

Sounds like that wonderful singer's voice released something in you! I do think the creative arts inspire each other. These are lovely fresh sketches. Well done for getting back into the flow!

parsonsdaughterstudio said...

These sketches of Meryl are great! You captured her wonderfully... I'm jealous in a hate-you-cuz-you're-so-good-but-so-glad-to-have-a-great-artist-as-a-friend way.

Penny!

Brenda Y said...

OUTSTANDING sketches!! I'm so glad you persevered and had some creativity time.

jill said...

i totally understand the "home town" thing, just like the song that says "you're always 17 in your hometown" or the old saying of "you never outlive your youth in your hometown". i "escaped" from home several years ago, and then moved back here by choice to raise my kids. i didn't have a bad childhood at all, but was rather an ornery child and well-known for some childhood escapades!

from the drawings, though, it looks like you're back on track and doing good again. that's what good, close, and supportive hubbies and families are for!