Thursday, March 29, 2007

Another CL sketch


I had forgotten to draw the table! I was reading more of Danny's book and there it was, staring me in the face and I don't know how I missed it. So, I sat down to sketch one of our end tables. These tables are something to see. When we moved into this house, we were coming from a little starter home that we bought in the mid 1980s. It was only a small cape cod, but it was in a good eighborhood and it served us well. When we moved into it, we were coming from an efficiency apartment in the city and we never dreamed we'd be buying a home. But, at that time the monthly rents and mortgages were running about the same, so we thought why waste our money? Anyway, I raised two teenaged boys in that little house, but we were becoming quite crowded, so we bought this rancher that we live in now. Our old house could fit inside the great room of this house! It's only about 400 more sq. ft., but in our cape we had 3 floors and this is all one floor with a garage where I have the frame shop for now. Anyway, we got a deal on this house. It had been on the market for over a year and the man selling it was going through a divorce. Not that I'm happy about benefitting from someone else's unfortunate circumstances. He was moving into a much smaller place and was going to have to put the furniture in storage and he didn't want to do that. So, he worked out a deal with my husband for us to buy the furniture, too. Which was good, because our furniture from our tiny cape would not have looked right in this huge room. We live near the furniture market area of NC and it is everywhere. I never dreamed of owning furniture like this, at least until after my kids were grown and on their own. Boys are rough on furniture. Anyway, he sold us an entertainment center, custom made dining table and chairs, and this coffee table, end tables and a welcome table. All are solid wood, no particle board. The tables are carved with inlaid, beveled amber glass. They were the most beautiful tables I'd ever seen. So, our furniture is placed exactly like his was in the great room because I lack any creativity when it comes to interior design. This is the leg of one of the tables. It's not done well at all because even though I am sketching, it has not become a habit for me yet. I still have to force myself to complete the assignments. I was sitting on the floor with the top of the table at eye level, and as you can see, my sketch looks like I was above the table instead. Oh, well. I did it, right? That's the goal.

No comments: