Sunday, February 18, 2007




These are my iris' busting up through the ground and it's only February! I just love the south! I'm a transplant from the north, but I've always felt my heart belonged to the south. When I was a kid, my family would travel down here to visit my brother who is 16 years older than I. I would always go back with a southern accent after only 2 weeks of hanging out with my nieces. Now I'm actually here and I am just tickled with how things are turning out. It was a bit chilly today. Very warm on the deck which is southern facing, but when I got down into the yard, it was much colder. So, this was done quickly. It was very windy today, but it seemed so much like spring with all the birds singing and chirping, and the woodpecker squawking for more peanuts. This is only one clump of shoots. They are in a raised bed and there are a whole bunch. I can't wait to see the blooms. A friend gave all these to me after they had bloomed in her garden. I planted them, but then we moved before spring that year and I wasn't able to get them until we went back to ready the house for sale. I planted them last year, so this will be ther first time I see their wonderful falls and colors. I'm going to try a sketch them every week until they bloom and then I want to paint them in pastel.

1 comment:

caseytoussaint said...

This is a lovely sketch - I'm looking forward to following the series. I've been trolling down and I'm so impressed with yur drawing ability - your style is so confident and clean.