Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Something Sour #106



I have to thank my husband for the idea for this drawing. I was going to do these candies that my kids love, Warheads, they're called. But, then my husband suggested drawing our son's face after he tasted something sour. Now, my youngest son is notorious for making faces. In almost every picture that he's ever been in, at the last moment, he pulls a face. We have group soccer pics with him in the back row with his tongue sticking out and his face all screwed up. We've had to warn him before picture taking time, and stand there and glare at him to make him behave. So, it was just natural to ask Dave to pose for me. He's the ultimate poser. I wanted to do this drawing from life, but Dave couldn't hold his face like this for long, so I snapped a pic of him. I did the drawing sitting in front of the computer and just sketching quickly so I wouldn't be tempted by the details again. I put in more than I wanted to, but I was afraid if I didn't shade it, it would look too flat. I'm happy with it! What do y'all think?

22 comments:

Susan Hosken said...

great idea for the challenge. I love the drawing.
Lots of love from Susan in Australia

AnastasiaC said...

this is a fantastic drawing!! awesome expression!

Brenda Y said...

LOL! It's WONDERFUL!! Our daughter was always the "face maker" and at 24, she still is! This is priceless and a fantastic idea for sour.

E-J said...

Hello Sherie. This is a great interpretation of the challenge, and I don't think it needs tweaking of any kind.

The work on your blog is excellent!

Sandy said...

Fabulous and what whimsy - you captured the "pucker" perfectly and the values you created are right on.

shirley said...

Great idea for "sour" and a wonderful sketch!

Christeen said...

This is awesome- a great idea for the 'sour' challenge. Really nicely done!

SCquiltaddict said...

great idea and great sketch...that must have reallly beeennn sourrrr:>

Julie said...

Great choice! I think you put in just enough detail where it mattered.

Linda said...

Perfect! Don't change a thing!

Renate said...

Great drawing! Made me smile :)

Cathy (Kate) Johnson said...

Oh cool! That's sort of the idea I was going to do if I'd had time--I have a REALLY sour face sometimes.*G*

Your drawing is wonderful...I love your style. Very sure and clean.

melissa said...

Wonderful capture of the "sour" expression.

Mobys Coffee Summerfield said...

wow...Sherie...this is great!!!!!!!!! Maybe I'll get Peggy to make a face like this for ME to draw...I'm sure she won't mind hammin' it up... can't think it will look anywhere near THIS good....

Penny

aPugsLife said...

hahah, what a fantastic and original idea for the "sour" challenge! :)

Robyn said...

It makes my mouth water just to look at this picture. I can taste it!

Ujwala said...

just the sort of look that i mentally picture making when I have something sour :D beautifully portrayed.

mrana said...

I think it's excellent, and what a great skew on the topic.

Emma Pod said...

This is just adorable! Great idea and dynamic drawing. Really well done.

Jim said...

What great skills you have! This is very well done. I love the shading and the values; they are darn near perfect.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

This is excellent. I think I missed it last time I was here. Not sure how - it's an absolute perfect translation of the subject; sour.

Sue said...

This is a great drawing. I puckered just looking at it. Sounds like your son could make a face to represent just about every challenge there is. what a hoot.