Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Great Mouser at Rest





These are some quick sketches of our cat Toby. He came to us one day 2 years ago with his mother and two siblings. Someone had dumped the mother out here in the country, possibly because she was pregnant. She showed up at our door "one dark, stormy night" meowing for food. I fed her, and off she went. I told the boys she probably had kittens, and sure enough, the next day she returned with her young. For the next couple weeks as we tried to find homes for them, it was quite chaotic with feral kittens running around the yard. The mother, whom my youngest son named Tammy, may have been domesticated, but the kittens were feral and very fearful of us. Before we went anywhere we had to check under the hood of the cars because the kittens would crawl up in the engine compartment. We would lift the hood and 3 kittens went in 3 different directions so fast it made us jump! We eventually found a home for the mama, but in the meantime 2 of the kittens disappeared. We didn't know what happened, coyotes, hawks.... so all that was left was the last little male. I fed him and sat on the porch and talked to him until he gained enough courage to walk by me, eat and then stay and play a little. My youngest son finally pleaded with his dad to let us keep him. And here he is. He is our mouser. He tore up the house last night while we were sleeping chasing a mouse and he caught it because he showed us very proudly while I was fixing breakfast. So this is the great mouser at rest after a long night of working.

5 comments:

Teri C said...

I love your story of the 'mouser'. It brought back a lot of memories for me. I am so envious of people that have cats, they always look like such fun to sketch! You did a great job of capturing his actions or lask of action.

Brenda Y said...

Great sketches and a wonderful story. Similar thing happened with us - and yes, it took months to tame the kitty we kept.

sydney said...

Good cat! I love those sketches and Toby's story. It looks like you caught his personality.

Karen said...

Mousers work hard for their keep. You're lucky to have one, and he's lucky to have you, too.

aPugsLife said...

Awww, how cute, how wonderful! I just love cats (and dogs) (and horses). :) It's funny how sometimes our pets find US. :)