Saturday, February 17, 2007

EDM #105 Scissors






I started this on the 15th and finished it last night. I was way out of my comfort zone and it shows. But, my goal was to stay away from too much detail and I think I reached it. Usually when I draw, I take out my contacts (because my eyes are very, very bad) and my nose is 2 cm from the paper. Ok, I exaggerate (but not much, tho). I also sat away from the composition so I would only do a simple line drawing. I wasn't even going to shade, but sometimes I can't help myself. I originally had the tablecloth sketched in there, but erased it because I was afraid I would get caught up in the detail and it would then never get finished! It's a beautiful autumn patterned one. Maybe I should draw the tablecloth? Not! Anywayz, I was ok for about the first half hour and then I lost my focus. I got up and straigtened up the kitchen, threw in a load of laundry, played my piano, and kept going back to it, but couldn't get my concentration back. So, I walked away from it. Yesterday morning we went to a friend's house. She teaches my oldest Japanese and I teach her daughter art. The exercise for the day was to draw something from the kitchen so we chose a wisk. I had forgotten how hard it is to draw a wisk! But, I was able to show her how to measure her distance from one wire to the next and how to use the negative space also. I drew with her and from that moment on I couldn't wait to get home and finish the scissors. We came home, I cooked dinner (nothing special) and then we did a few chores and I sat down and had this drawing done in under half an hour! I do think that going back to the basics is a the key for me. So, now I have a frame job to finish and then I'm going to sit down with my pastels and books and play instead of trying to produce a finished piece. The music I used to draw this by was Brett Rosenberg's Half Light soundtrack, The Secret Garden soundtrack (I've used this one for many years), Once In a Red Moon by the band Secret Garden, and the Cowboy Junkies Platinum & Gold Collection.

6 comments:

Teri C said...

I think these scissors are just fabulous! Just the right amount of shading and detail. Great job!

Deborah said...

Very nice rendering of your scissors. I like the use of pencil and glad you didn't put in the tablecloth, they stand on their own. I did notice the broken tip on the chrome ones with the black handles. I think every pair of those I've ever seen have broken tips. Lovely.

SCquiltaddict said...

I think you did a terrific job....glad you finished them!

u l a n said...

with talent like yours, it's no wonder your hands itch to just go on sketching and sketching! i'd have loved to see that tablecloth. but there's always next time, right? hehe.

ian (ulan25) everydaymatters group

Knitting Painter Woman said...

I like your scissors!

Rachel Murphree said...

great scissors and story!